Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Corner: One Thousand Gifts

One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Life Fully Right Where You Are
Author: Ann Voskamp


What kind of read is it?Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl meets Brother Lawrence meets Pioneer Woman
There is a lot of quoting of great minds.  And at times, you have to follow a scattered train of thought to get to the point, but I found it to be worth it.

Why did I read it?
1. It's about thankfulness in everyday life - who doesn't need more of that?
2. I was curious about it since I had heard it quoted a few times.  Becca P. shared a version of her quote "You can only embrace one emotion at a time.  Choose gratitude."  That stuck with me.
3. I randomly saw this video online one day and decided it was worth giving a shot.  Though there is some cheesiness, it is really sincere, and it grabbed me.

Favorite quotes from the book? (Holy cow. Impossible to choose. I dog-eared about 75 pages.  So, I will pick three at random.)

Out of the darkness of the cross, the world transfigures into new life. And there is no other way. (p.96)

The hard discipline to lean into the ugly and whisper thanks to transfigure it into beauty.  The hard discipline to give thanks for all things at all times because He is all good. (p.100)

Isn't joy the art of God? ... The glory of God is the human being fully alive and the life of the human consists in beholding God...Don't I give God most glory when I am fully alive? And I am most fully alive beholding God! (p.118)

What will I remember most about this book?
Receiving what God gives and saying thanks.  Even if it seems bad.  If I have perspective and truth about God in my heart, I can remember that he is giving me grace.  The cross looked really bad while it was happening. (Ann Voskamp calls that the ugly beautiful.)  But the cross was the BEST thing to ever happen.

Also around page 136 she talks about fighting feeling with feeling.  "Feel thanks and its absolutely impossible to feel angry..."

No comments:

Post a Comment