Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Book Corner: Elizabeth Prentiss

Elizabeth Prentiss: More Love to Thee
Author: Sharon James

Trust me, the book jacket does not help. I prefer it plain hard-cover!

What kind of read is it?
Biography. Easy to read because of the way it tells her life as a story.  Set in 1800s America.  Good for you if you're interested in topics of Biblical womanhood, marriage, parenting, serving the church, and faith when the floor falls out from under you.  This book was heart-wrenching, real, and so helpful to me.

Why did I read it?
Elizabeth Prentiss wrote the classic Stepping Heavenward, which I read years ago.  I mainly decided to prioritize it over other books because Sarah W. recommended it, and I wanted to try reading a biography for fun.  (And it was fun!)

Favorite quotes from the book?

I love, dearly, to have a Master.  I fancy that those who have strong wills, are the ones who enjoy God's sovereignty most. (p.158)

...but when we are not sending any branches upward, we may be sending roots downward.  Perhaps in the time of our humiliation, when everything seems a failure, we are making the best kind of progress. (p.205)

What will I remember most about this book?

Hopefully a lot of it.  Especially E.P.'s example of submitting to God's will over her own, even when it's painful.  This book was a well-timed help for me in that.  But I know I am still in need of more grace to put it into practice.

"Let us take our lot in life just as it comes, courageously, patiently and faithfully, never wondering at anything the Master does. ... He has some reason for doing so ...if you have real faith in Him, you will not insist on knowing this reason." (p.211)


P.S.
The girltalk blog did an interview with Sharon James that starts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment