Thursday, April 7, 2011

Waiting

This morning I woke with overwhelming discouragement.  
This book was helpful to me in reminding me of truth.  
He talks about fighting the "habits of unfaith" which was exactly what I needed to hear.  Along with the reminders that God is still FOR me and will never forsake me.  Even when I don't see why I am waiting.

"When God asks you to wait, what happens to your spiritual muscles?  While you wait, do your spiritual muscles grow bigger and stronger or do they grow flaccid and atrophied?  Waiting for the Lord isn't about God forgetting you, forsaking you, or being unfaithful to his promises.  It's actually God giving you time to consider his glory and to grow stronger in faith.  Remember, waiting isn't just about what you are hoping for at the end of the wait, but also about what you will become as you wait." (page 88)

Don't give way to habits of unfaith:
doubt
anger
discouragement
envy
inactivity

"The reality of waiting is that it's an expression of God's goodness.  He is wise and loving.  His timing is always right, and his focus isn't so much on what you will experience and enjoy, but on what you will become." (page 90)

Trusting in His loving purpose for each moment...

4 comments:

  1. This was great, Beki! The waiting never seems to stop. I've waited for my first child...but as soon as they're born, we wait for that first smile...for them to walk...for them so say, "I Love You, Mommy"...for them to drive...for them to graduate. I have to keep in mind about who God is turning me into during my waiting periods. Thanks, Beki! I love you and am praying for you daily. Michal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the wealth of encouragement in that book! Praying for you and Bert as you wait for your precious gift. Michal is so right about the wait just looking different in different seasons. What grace that you are able to see that God is using this time to grow and stretch your faith in His loving providence. I see SO many evidences of His grace in both you and Bert. This child is blessed, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ikeb, the time will come! It's horrible and causes discouragement, but God knows the best time for your baby to be born! I LOVE that devotional, one of my FAVORITES! When I first saw it I thought it was for really depressed people in awful situations, but it's really for people discouraged by the mundane everyday. Glad you're turning your heart toward the gospel even in waiting for a little one to be born! Can't wait to hear about it!

    -Nire Repooc

    ReplyDelete
  4. sister
    i love this post!

    i literally used the exact same excerpt when I led the prayer meeting at B.A. awhile back. Soooo good.

    i was thinking i should come over and play some time related songs for this kid. maybe music will lure him/her out. :)

    HIS timing is right. HIS mystery is good.
    your ( forced yet obedient) patience has been encouraging.

    love you,
    almost aunt

    ReplyDelete