Monday, February 6, 2012

Book Corner: The Hunger Games Trilogy

The Hunger Games Trilogy
Author: Suzanne Collins


What kind of read are these?
Young Adult. Suspenseful! Post-apocalyptic (quite unrealistic, but not outside realm of possibility). Plot-driven. Violent.

Why did I read them?
They are definitely the latest craze and the first movie is set to be released in March.  I wanted to see if I agreed with the masses. And I did in many ways. They totally captured my imagination and made me think a lot about the themes raised (poverty, materialism, violence, family, loss, revolution, strategy, hunger, etc.).

Favorite quotes from the book?
N/A  They weren't my books to underline in, and I don't remember any words of insight.

What will I remember most about these books?
the excitement of figuring out how to survive in the woods
Peeta being kind
Katniss being tough
the games being insanely cruel and fascinating at the same time
the way they talked about materialism vs people starving so frequently


ca·ve·at

[kav-ee-aht, -at, kah-vee-, key-] 
1.
a warning or caution; admonition.

I noticed a steady increase of violence as the books went on.  This made the third book pretty dark at times, and I didn't enjoy it much.  Maybe it was true to the story, for me the third book was too much.  I really liked 1 and 2 though.  The mentality of the world that Collins creates WILL make you think, but the implications of that get pretty dark.

So, if you read, read with discernment!  And be thankful to know the One who gives us truth and hope as we grapple with the questions of human nature.  There is mercy in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment