Saturday, June 16, 2012

Two of my Heroes

For most of my life I couldn't tell you who my heroes were.  Now that I've reached the venerable age of 26 (that's how old I am, right Bert?)  I have a pretty good list going.


Two recent additions, timed by sweet sovereignty, are Elizabeth Prentiss and Anna Stoehr.  Their words and character have come back to me so many times lately.  I am so inspired by their lives.  Both of them have the mysterious Proverbs 31:25 going on.  (She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.)  Here are some of their precious words to me while my heart aches:

Life has sadness and life has joy. 
Sometimes its very hard, but God knows what He's doing.  
I may not always understand, but He does.
Anna Stoehr, age 111

I used to think I could never endure to lose a child, but you see how it is.
God does carry us through whatever he pleases.
Elizabeth Prentiss, p. 73

Could I refuse Him my child because she was the very apple of my eye?  
No indeed, then, but let me give to Him, not what I value least, but what I prize and delight in most. 
Could I not endure heart-sickness for Him who had given His only Son for me!
p.88

I love, dearly, to have a Master.
p.158

He can give us strength for the endurance of His most terrible chastisements when their hour comes.
p.61

Let us take our lot in life just as it comes, courageously, patiently and faithfully, never wondering at anything the Master does. ... He has some reason for doing so ...if you have real faith in Him, you will not insist on knowing this reason."
p.211

No comments:

Post a Comment