Friday, July 27, 2012

Book Corner: Heaven is for Real

Heaven is for Real
By: Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent


What kind of read is it?
Not well-written. I had to often skim useless details, but I was encouraged by the account of Jesus and heaven that Colton experienced. 

Why did I read it?
Someone mentioned to me about how he meets his sister in heaven even though he never was told his parents had a miscarriage.  That aspect of the book grabbed my attention enough to investigate.

Favorite quotes from the book?
"The first person you're going to see is Jesus." (p.119)

"Hey, Daddy don't forget," he'd say, garbling the words through a mouthful of toothpaste foam, "Jesus said he really, really loves the children!" (p.106)

What will I remember most about this book?
This book made me feel like it's ok to think about the baby we lost as a person in heaven with Jesus.  Not only a tiny baby.  It's hard to imagine, but somehow helpful too. Also, this account gave me a fresh look at the way that God loves and cares for children and babies.  Jesus does really love children, and there's something really simple in how a child grasps that.

Caveat:
If you run in conservative theology circles you are probably skeptical of this book as something that could distract from the basics of the gospel.  I also read it with a critical eye.  What he says about heaven lines up with ways that scripture describes it.  I didn't find anything contradictory to the gospel.  The book is based on heaven and not gospel-centered.  

The main controversy comes with people saying he couldn't have seen heaven because he didn't officially die.  I can see that point, but don't feel strongly that it's true.  I have known people to have visions or dreams that are encouraging for the body of Christ to hear.  I view this as one of those. 

This book certainly blessed me (besides being very poorly written).  And I felt the drive behind the book was to love JESUS (not spirituality in general) if you hope to be in heaven someday.  Even though gospel specifics were not drawn out (no mention of sin at all), it still encouraged me to love Jesus more and believe his love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment