Friday, December 17, 2010

Paximadia

Last Christmas my mom gave us handmade recipe books with copies of the handwritten recipes of my Megali Yia Yia (Great Grandma).  These recipes are of her own Greek cookies and baked treats.

She emigrated to America at age 14 and her life story is inspiring in many ways.  She passed away when I was in 9th grade, about 10 years ago now.

I remember having tea for the first time at the kitchen table at Megali Yia Yia's house on Avenue C in Redondo Beach, CA.

A treat that often accompanied tea at Megali Yia Yia's house was paximadia (pawk-see-mah-theea), a type of greek biscotti.  I recently tried her recipe (to satisfy a pregnancy craving) and loved it.  SO, Beth and I decided to bake more to give out at Christmas.  I wish I had baked enough to give everyone I want to, but this year I only had the stamina and supplies for four batches, two for me and two for Beth.

 The added chocolate is just for fun.  Not the original Greek way.





2 comments:

  1. Those look delightful. I'm not expecting, but I am pretty sure that I need one to satisfy a craving too. :) Merry Christmas to you and Bert.

    ReplyDelete