Monday, January 10, 2011

Book Corner: The Hidden Art of Homemaking

By Edith Schaeffer


What kind of read is it?

Each chapter is on a different topic or creativity idea.  Edith Schaeffer writes in the first person about her creative experiences.  This is neat, especially considering her life of engaging the arts and Christianity at L’Abri.  She is a homemaking pro and notes compelling reasons why creative living is essential for all Christians (not just married ones with kids).

What insights did I gain from this book?

Lots of practical ideas and suggestions for making home a special place and for being creative in the mundane.  I also gained deeper conviction and understanding about how caring about little things can change the dynamic of a home for a family.  And that it doesn't have to be overwhelming to dabble and try new ways of being creative.

I should add that I read this book because I wanted to grow in my homemaking skills.  I came into marriage with very little skill and practice of making a home a special place.  I was more apt to watch TV after a long day than think about cooking.  I found this book most helpful in my quest to grow and enjoy being home.

What did the author do well?

The ideas presented were so varied including everything from writing, to cooking, to drama, to flower arranging, to planning adventurous outings for your kids.  There is a do-able idea in here that everyone can be inspired by.

What is lacking in writing style or story?

There are preachy parts about living in a “plastic” world that get redundant.  Also, this book hugely misuses quotation marks around normal words.  It got to the point where I would laugh audibly at how many quotes she uses.  I am left still scratching my head about how that got past an editor.

What will I remember most about this book?

Unexpectedly, I was totally inspired by the flower arranging chapter.  I think about it all the time.  And I am ashamed to say I scoffed at it when I first read the table of contents because it seemed too old fashioned.

4 comments:

  1. yay for beki's book corner! i definitely want to read this book.

    and "may" i add that those "quotes" around "normal" words are called "scare quotes."

    the chicago manual of style says it best: "scare quotes lose their force and irritate readers if overused."

    ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to modify the chicago manual of style's explanation to, "Scare quotes irritate readers."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delight for Grandma Lee and I to hear that you are looking at Edith Schaffer's book. It has been years since we studied her husband, Francis Schaffer witnessing and creating video studies in Switzerland. What an amazing witness they were and apparently others still are. I'd love to go there!

    ReplyDelete