Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Book Corner: A Wrinkle in Time

Book Corner: A Wrinkle in Time
By Madeleine L’Engle

What kind of read is it?
A children’s fantasy book.  Probably 5-6th grade.  (RL: 5.8)

What insights did I gain from this book?
None. 

What did the author do well?
Well she’s won a Newberry medal for it, so there has to be something I’m missing.  I loved the beginning of the book before the characters are traveling through time.  Meg and Calvin are fun characters.  The description of the Meg’s family and rickety old house made me want to walk into their kitchen and hang out with her and Charles Wallace.

What is lacking in writing style or story?
For me, this was way too abstract and unstructured of a story. You never really get concrete understanding of why or what they are doing.  There is just too much wandering around in space, time, and random planets for me.  There are some Christian themes that are not fully explained or tied in.  Also the climax of the story was super disappointing to me.  I can’t say I will be reading the next books in the series after this one just didn’t make sense to me.  It left me wanting C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Wilson, or anyone with a more thought-out story.

What will I remember most about this book?
The visuals of the old house on a stormy night, and an evil brain sitting on a chair.  (Yes, the bad guy is a very powerful evil brain. Weird.)  

2 comments:

  1. I'd say it is for 3rd-5th grade, if that redeems it at all in your opinion. Kids love this book, and I enjoyed it, but it doesn't stand up well to stuff written more recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3rd to 5th definitely helps. I know lots of kids like it. Bert did as a kid too.

    ReplyDelete