Thursday, June 2, 2011

Book Corner: Secrets of the Baby Whisperer

Book Corner: 
By: Tracy Hogg with Melinda Blau



What kind of read is it?
Fun, Helpful, and Extremely Practical!  The author is British, and she’s always calling you “luv” or “ducky.”

What insights did I gain from this book?
Ahh.  I got insight from every chapter…  Slow down.  Talk to Gwen like she can understand.  Tell her what I’m doing.  Treat her with consideration and respect (don’t just throw her legs up for diaper changes).  Listen to her cries to understand the differences between them.  Don’t just use the nuk to silence her all the time.  Help her establish a routine so she knows what to expect.  Embrace the importance of activity and nap times during the day.  Know what her physical body language means (flailing arms and legs usually means tired).  The best advice ever: “Start as you mean to go on.”

What did the author do well?
Everything she set out to do in the subtitle.  Also, she didn’t make me feel dumb.  And I LOVED the chapter about how you feel when you come home from the hospital.  It somehow made me feel so much better about the whole experience, and less like a drama queen.

Also, I must say that the author doesn’t fit in either of the extremes about sleep techniques (cry-it-out vs constant comfort).  We experienced a lot of opposing opinions about infant sleeping, and I thought I had to choose one side or the other.  The author helped me see how to walk the middle ground gracefully and logically.

What is lacking in writing style or story?
N/A

What will I remember most about this book?
See insights gained.  This book was SO helpful to me in so many ways. (Thanks for lending it to me, Jill!)

No comments:

Post a Comment