Friday, June 10, 2011

Book Corner: The Chestnut King

Book Corner: The Chestnut King (Book 3 of the 100 Cupboards Trilogy)



I started this series, way back in October after discovering it at the desiring God conference..  It got better and better as it went along.  Lots of imagination and wonder are included in the intriguing story.  There's a movie deal for 100 Cupboards.  I hope they make all three books into a movie, because the third is, of course, my favorite.

What kind of read is it?
 Lots of fun.  Young Adult Literature.  By far the most action-packed and suspenseful of the series.

What insights did I gain from this book?
 I was folding the page corners as I read for any page with something that made me think deeper, or something with real life/faith-related wisdom.  I ended up with 18 pages folded.  I think that's pretty good for a fun read.  I will put a couple favorites for the "what to remember" question. 

What did the author do well?
 He writes family really well.  You feel sincere love and appreciation for Henry's family, and the strength and joy it infuses in his life.  Not something common to read in YA literature.  I savored it.

The characters are delightful.  And Richard often makes me laugh out loud.

A well-done redemption story.  That's for sure.

What is lacking in writing style or story?
He never did explain why two cousins are names Henry and Henrietta.  I kept waiting for that one.

(FYI, you have to read carefully to know all the characters in these books.  They're not for someone who doesn't want to think at all while they're reading.  Something I actually liked about them.)

What will I remember most about this book?
Some quotes I enjoyed...

"The smells were as varied as the voices, the smiles as broad as the table.  Henry felt hungry and somehow already fed.  This was his tree.  He loved Kansas and parts of his other life.  But his branch, cut off from this trunk for twelve years, had been grafted back in.  That didn't mean he was used to it." (page 24)

"For you may the weak have love and the strong have fear.  For you may the darkness break.  May your life be a truth, and your death a glory." (Page 371)

"He felt like he had at Badon Hill, first seeing the roar and glory of life." (Page 438)

"...their song made sorrow sweet." (Page 470)

No comments:

Post a Comment